Can't see the forest for the trees

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't see the forest for the trees

Post by Big Bird on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:06 am

Here's my two cents.
The description on Google Play goes right into the weeds.
This forum goes right into the weeds.
I haven't found an overview operating concept description anywhere. I was motivated enough to figure it out, but not all people will be.
Your app seems to do just what I want, but I almost didn't install it because for the lack of that up front context, understanding what it does and how it works is much harder (for me at least, but I'm a sample set) than it needs to be.
There is some good information in here, such as when I found the parts (two places, slightly different, that's another issue) that describe what the heck ON-Foreground and ON-Restart mean.
I have eventually gathered that: When SoundAbout is running, if provides you lots of controls for customizing how sounds (e.g. media, phone, ....) and services (e.g. Bluetooth, wired headset, .....) work though your device so you get your device working the way you want it to.
I strongly encourage you to at least lead with a description along those lines, and perhaps a use case or two.
It will make the whole thing more accessible and you'll get more users and help more people.
Getting the "helps" into a stable document organized like your interface would be MUCH more user friendly than the How do I? part of the forum, though I commend the effort that went into anticipating questions there.

Big Bird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't see the forest for the trees

Post by Big Bird on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:21 am

One of the things that might bug me to uninstall this if I wasn't so motivated is the always on thing.
I see you have taken some care to provide options regarding removing the icon. Understood. That icon doesn't bother me so much and I'm not an "out of sight, out of mind" guy, my issue is with the underlying "always on" nature of the app.

I think the deal is:
-- the app needs to be running to do its thing (it's not like a Trigger task that runs and ends)
-- the way you let folks turn it on/off is through the first services setting
-- but you intend for folks to just leave it on

If that's NOT the case, please tell me more!

If that IS the case, then I suggest:
-- adding that to the orientation comment I whined about earlier
-- making a remark regarding battery usage (something I will watch here for a bit as a new user)
-- provide a widget to toggle it on/off

Big Bird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 pm

Yes, you are correct.

If you would like to install the Beta, that first setting has be simplified to : ON - With status, ON - No Status, OFF. The OFF is to help checking what happens if SoundAbout is not running in the background.

Beta can be downloaded here:
http://soundabout.userboard.net/f8-download-beta-versions

The settings have been added over the past couple years, so I do need to re-write the blurb on Google Play. There is not much room there, so I may have to just put a general description with a link to a more detailed explanation.
SoundAbout
Admin

View user profile http://soundabout.userboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum