To use Square credit card reader & Bluetooth headset at same time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

To use Square credit card reader & Bluetooth headset at same time

Post by TheLandYacht on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:12 am

...except it doesn't work. I had hoped that your app would help me overcome the below problem, but no joy.

I have a Galaxy S3 (SCH-R530C), a standard bluetooth headset (actually, I've tried several different headsets).

If the Square reader's plugged in, the S3 gives a quick "a headset was plugged in" screen message. If bluetooth was enabled/connected, this disables/disconnects it.

Going to the settings screen, the option to enable bluetooth is greyed out.

Making a call while the Square reader's plugged in...the "bluetooth" button on the phonecall screen...is also greyed out. I can still use "speakerphone".

Unplugging the square device results in either of the above buttons becoming immediately available again.

On my previous phone, an HTC Desire HD, the above worked fine out of the box with no modification needed.

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: To use Square credit card reader & Bluetooth headset at same time

Post by TheLandYacht on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 am

Just a bit of background. I'm a cabdriver, & most of my operation of the phone's done at "arms length" so to speak.

With my previous phone, I could plug the Square reader into the phone, set it in the "cradle", and not touch it again for the rest of the night except when actually swiping credit cards through the reader.

With the current phone, I have to dig out the Square, plug it in, swipe the card, then unplug the Square & put it away...every time I take a credit card transaction. In addition to the "what a pain in the butt" bit, there's also that plugging/unplugging that thing will, I imagine, eventually wear out the headphone plug on the phone.

Hence my hope that your app holds the answer to fixing this.

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 am

It sounds like the Square reader has an app that is reacting to the plug in event. SoundAbout can't block that app from detecting the plug-in event. Android also no longer allows sending the headset plug event to fake that the unplug occurred.

First, can you try installing the latest Beta version located here:
http://soundabout.userboard.net/f8-download-beta-versions

After installing, can you try adding the SoundAbout widget named "Headset toggle" to the home screen.
After you plug in the Square reader, you can click on the widget so that it goes to the OFF status and see if that works. I'm guessing that it won't because the Square reader is probably only reacting to the plug actually being plugged into the phone.

If it used to work on another phone, I'm wondering if rooting the phone with another ROM/kernel may help.

Depending on what phone service you have, you can search for your phone on XDA Developers for more information:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/
SoundAbout
Admin

View user profile http://soundabout.userboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLandYacht on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Nope, happens no matter what I plug into the headset jack. Not just the square. Also happens with standard headphones, the Intuit GoPayment cc reader, and another 3rd party cc reader. Also, Square's app has to be manually loaded, it doesn't start with the phone.

Basically, "anything plugged into the headphone jack" disables bluetooth entirely. Also, I've tested this on another GS3 that did NOT have the Square software installed. Same symptom. Don't know about other Galaxy model phones, but it appears this may be a design "flaw" of this model.

I'm hoping I can get away without rooting my phone, it's still pristine so-to-speak.

I'll give the beta a try in a bit.

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 pm

What happens if you set the SoundAbout "media audio" setting to Bluetooth A2DP?
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLandYacht on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:10 am

Well, the latest progress update is that...the problem was...my own stupidity.

Right there on the Play Store page it says "restart after installing".  I hadn't.
Did that.  Also (un)clicked the "Wired headset detection" checkbox.  After that, I was able to make/recieve calls on Bluetooth even when the Square was plugged in.

What I wasn't able to do...was use the Square reader that was plugged in.  The App for Square recognizes it (and sees when it's plugged & unplugged despite the fact that the above mentioned checkbox is unchecked).  But it will not read any of the dozen or so credit cards I tried to process this evening.  Tried just about every setting I saw in your software that seemed relevant, but no joy.  Uninstalled your app, restarted the phone, and the very next CC I tried to process...swiped on the first try.

This was...by the way...with the stock version of the app that's on PlayStore, not the beta you mentioned.

Suggestions?  Also, should this be moved to "help and troubleshooting"?  I'll post this thing's praises again in this section once I get it working properly.

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 am

Your phone doesn't allow Bluetooth phone when any headset is plugged in.

Try:

1)  Put "Wired Headset detection" back ON.

2) In the SoundAbout "Bluetooth behavior" screen,  check(turn ON) the "Disable wired audio" setting.

See if that works.

Also, I put a new Beta version out there:
http://soundabout.userboard.net/f8-download-beta-versions
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLandYacht on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

So, set both of the settings you suggested and...it worked. The fun thing is, both of those settings are set that way "by default".

I remembered trying it at "default settings" when I first installed it, but no worky worky. Then I remembered also that I was brain-dead & hadn't restarted the phone as the instructions suggest.

Goes to show, RTFM helps sometimes.

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLandYacht on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:24 pm

So, over a month under my belt & it works like a charm.

One "bug" I've noticed, when I answer a call (on bluetooth) while the Square's plugged in...the person can't hear me say "hello". I end up having to repeat myself, like there's a 2 or 3 second lag between when I answer & when the connection to bluetooth actually kicks in.

I assume that's somewhat normal, it just takes a second or two for SA to connect to Bluetooth?

TheLandYacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:54 am

It's hard to say with Bluetooth. The Bluetooth drivers are constantly changing in Android. It could be just switching from the headset connection (Square) over to Bluetooth takes a bit. I noticed this sometimes when I am playing music on the phone and get a Bluetooth call. Sometimes the music player takes a while to "let go".
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum