Audio won't go to handset if you have a Galaxy Gear connected

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Audio won't go to handset if you have a Galaxy Gear connected

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 pm

If you initiate the call from the watch, it works fine, you can hear the person on the watch.

If you initiate the call from the phone and use Speaker Phone, it works fine.

However, if you don't have speaker phone enabled, and you don't want to use the bluetooth watch, no audio comes from the earpiece speaker. It's just off.

Also if you start the call from the watch, then transfer it to the phone for privacy, there's no sound in the earpiece speaker.

I've tried various settings, and you can make it disconnect the watch, and then it will work, and reconnect the watch afterwards, but that's not an optimal option, since the watch needs to be paired or the device pattern locks when it loses connection. It also makes it impossible to transfer to the call to the watch, because it's no longer connected.

Is there a combination of settings that can be applied so you can use the earpiece speaker but still have a bluetooth device connected, just not used?

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Audio won't go to handset if you have a Galaxy Gear connected

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Typicality, in Android, if a Bluetooth device is paired using the phone profile, then it will be used when a phone call occurs.

If you set the SoundAbout "Phone call audio" setting to "Earpiece", the app will disconnect the Bluetooth device so that you can use the earpiece during a phone call. After the call, SoundAbout will reconnect the Bluetooth device what was previously disconnected.

I am curious. Have you tried doing this with SoundAbout un-installed?
If un-installing, go into phone settings, Manage apps, find SoundAbout, clear cache, clear data, force stop, then un-install. You can leave the SoundAbout Pro key installed. Then restart the phone and see how the watch/phone behave.

I'm wondering if they have included any sneaky way around this or if they have they same issue.
SoundAbout
Admin

View user profile http://soundabout.userboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:50 pm

If I disable SoundAbout, it works great. I can hear through the earpiece and the watch stays connected. I can toss the call back and forth from phone to watch no problem.

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:43 pm

That's a tough one. The watch pairs like a Bluetooth headset. Normally, someone would want to use the Bluetooth headset, if it is connected to the phone.

I don't know how I can tell if someone wants to use the Bluetooth device or the phone earpiece. Sad  I will have to research that one.

One thing to try for now, is to go into Bluetooth behavior and un-check the "Phone call audio usage" setting. This will disconnect the Bluetooth device during a phone call, but it will reconnect once you hang up.

SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm

ProximaC wrote:If I disable SoundAbout, it works great. I can hear through the earpiece and the watch stays connected. I can toss the call back and forth from phone to watch no problem.
When you do this, does the phone call go to the watch by default? Do you have to press something to change it to earpiece? is there a setting in the app that is used for the watch (Gear manager), where you set this?
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:01 pm

It seems to be smart enough to know that wherever you initiate the call from, that's where it starts working.

If you start the call from the watch, the call starts on the watch. If you start the call from the Dialer, the call starts on the phone.

On the dialer screen, there's a "Headset" toggle button that will throw the call to the watch if you turn it on, or bring it back to the phone if you turn it off.

If you initiate the call from the watch, the Headset toggle is on when it starts dialing. If you start the call from the phone itself, the Headset toggle is off.

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Ah yes, they have access to the phone app and can change it's settings. I wish that was open for the rest of us. I wonder what would happen if you tried that watch on an HTC or another type of phone?
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Right now, the watch only works with the Note 3, or the new Galaxy Tab. It will work on the Note 2 and S4 once they're running 4.3, but that's about it right now.

It's their phone and their watch, so they probably have the ability to get to things that nobody else can.

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

It would be nice to be able to communicate with the phone apps audio toggle switch. It would make life much easier! Probably a security risk, but still....
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:32 pm

So you can't even see the state of the switch to know where to do the routing.

What if there was an option to not disconnect the BT device if the default action is set to "Earpiece" instead of "Let App Decide"?

Right now if it's set to Earpiece, the watch gets disconnected entirely when you place a call. If there was an extra option to make it not do that then the phone should make the right choice by itself I would hope.

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm not sure that would work. If you have phone call audio on "Let app decide" now it will use Bluetooth but the earpiece is not disabled because it won't override the Bluetooth. Can you switch to earpiece when using "let app decide"?

In the reverse case, when you WANT to use earpiece, the Bluetooth will override the earpiece which is why I have to disable it. I will look at the new Bluetooth light API in Android 4.3+. There may be something in there that comes to play here.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ProximaC on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:19 pm

If I have it set to "Let App Decide" the earpiece is dead no matter where I start the call from.

If I set it to "Earpiece" then it disconnects the watch when I make a call, and you can't use the watch to make a call, or transfer a call to the watch.

ProximaC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

I am looking at the Android 4.3 Bluetooth "Low Energy" API. There must be a new way to connect to supported Bluetooth devices in a way that allows for this scenario.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum