Functionality with my new Samsung Note 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Functionality with my new Samsung Note 3

Post by scion676 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Hello David,

I recently purchased the pro key for your app in hopes that I could replicate the functionality of my old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD with my new Galaxy Note 3, but I continue to struggle with the proper settings.

Basically here's the way audio routed, out of the box, with my Moto... which is the end state I'm trying to duplicate.

I use my mono bluetooth headset (Jabra Motion and Plantronics Voyager Legend) all the time with my phone. In my car, with the Maxx HD, I was able to have the headset connected to mono audio and A2DP. When driving, I'd connect the headphone aux cable to the car. When using Play Music, the music would route through the Aux cable. When I received/made a call, the call audio would automatically route through the bluetooth headset (while the aux cable was still connected). Once the call completed, the music would pick back up again over the aux cable. When I unplugged the aux cable, the music would stream to the headset over A2DP automatically.

Additionally, when using voice commands (activated from the headset button) the audio would route through the headset appropriately. This doesn't seem to work at all with SoundAbout enabled and the below settings configured. When I turn off SoundAbout, I can hear the voice prompts again.

I cannot seem to get the above functionality to work with my Note 3. I tried the version in the playstore as well as the beta version 2.5.6.7. I have Media Audio set to Let App Decide, Phone Call Audio set to Bluetooth (mono), Wired Headset behavior (first 3 out of 4 checked), and Bluetooth behavior I have: Auto Enable, A2DP media audio usage, Phone call Usage, and Bluetooth disconnect audio... all checked.

Do I have this set up incorrectly? I'd really love to get my Note 3 working like my old Maxx HD did and it seems like your app is the best shot. I want it to always prioritize playing music through the aux when the aux is connected but I also want it to always prioritize voice calls through the headset when the headset is connected (and they're almost always both connected in the car).

I know this was a long rant, but any help you could give me would be much appreciated. I don't want to regret purchasing your otherwise great app!

scion676

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Functionality with my new Samsung Note 3

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:19 am

scion676 wrote:Hello David,

I recently purchased the pro key for your app in hopes that I could replicate the functionality of my old Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD with my new Galaxy Note 3, but I continue to struggle with the proper settings.

Basically here's the way audio routed, out of the box, with my Moto... which is the end state I'm trying to duplicate.  

I use my mono bluetooth headset (Jabra Motion and Plantronics Voyager Legend) all the time with my phone.  In my car, with the Maxx HD, I was able to have the headset connected to mono audio and A2DP.  When driving, I'd connect the headphone aux cable to the car.  When using Play Music, the music would route through the Aux cable.  When I received/made a call, the call audio would automatically route through the bluetooth headset (while the aux cable was still connected).  Once the call completed, the music would pick back up again over the aux cable.  When I unplugged the aux cable, the music would stream to the headset over A2DP automatically.  
The app should create this same scenario with the default settings.

scion676 wrote:
Additionally, when using voice commands (activated from the headset button) the audio would route through the headset appropriately. This doesn't seem to work at all with SoundAbout enabled and the below settings configured.  When I turn off SoundAbout, I can hear the voice prompts again.
This I would have to look at. I know when pressing the Bluetooth headset button (when not in a call), I get prompted to say a name or phone number. If I am using the Bluetooth mono headset microphone (Bluetooth behavior / (Mono) Microphone override), then pressing the Bluetooth headset button will disconnect the headset microphone. If I press it again, it will then prompt me to say a name or number. At this point SoundAbout still thinks it is connected to the Bluetooth microphone, so I have to un-check the Bluetooth behavior / (Mono) Microphone override setting and re-check it to use the Bluetooth microphone again to do Google Now searches.

scion676 wrote:
I cannot seem to get the above functionality to work with my Note 3.  I tried the version in the playstore as well as the beta version 2.5.6.7.  I have Media Audio set to Let App Decide, Phone Call Audio set to Bluetooth (mono), Wired Headset behavior (first 3 out of 4 checked), and Bluetooth behavior I have: Auto Enable, A2DP media audio usage, Phone call Usage, and Bluetooth disconnect audio... all checked.

Do I have this set up incorrectly?  I'd really love to get my Note 3 working like my old Maxx HD did and it seems like your app is the best shot.  I want it to always prioritize playing music through the aux when the aux is connected but I also want it to always prioritize voice calls through the headset when the headset is connected (and they're almost always both connected in the car).

I know this was a long rant, but any help you could give me would be much appreciated.  I don't want to regret purchasing your otherwise great app!
Can you download the latest Beta that I put up today?
http://soundabout.userboard.net/f8-download-beta-versions

You should be able to set:
1 - "Media audio" to "Let app decide". It will detect any Bluetooth A2DP connection and use it first. If there is none, it will use the Aux cable. If you don't want it to try and use the A2DP connection for media, then you would either go into Bluetooth behavior and un-check the "(A2DP) Media audio usage" setting, or just put the "Headset Toggle" widget on the home screen. You can click it so that the "Wired headset/ AUX" connection overrides the Bluetooth A2DP connection. Then if you click the widget again or unplug the headset wire, it will switch back to the Bluetooth A2DP connection.
2 - "Phone call audio" to "Let app decide". It will detect any Bluetooth mono connection and use it first for a phone call.
3 - Bluetooth behavior settings like you have above (if you use the widget).
SoundAbout
Admin

View user profile http://soundabout.userboard.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by scion676 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:56 am

So I am currently testing out the new beta and I definitely don't have settings correct. Here's the set up.

BT headset connected and aux cable connected.

Media Audio - Let app decide
Phone call audio - Let app decide (should this be set to Bluetooth Mono??)
Notifcation behavior - notifications to speaker (off), Ringtones (on)
Wired Headset behavior - headset detection (on), microphone (off) unplug (on) plug in (off)
Bluetooth behavior - Auto enable (on), a2dp (on) mono (off), dynamic (off), phone call usage (on), mono microphone override (off), bluetooth disconnect audio (on)

When the aux cable isn't connected music goes thru the a2dp connection to the headset (great).

When aux cable is connected, Google Play Music pushes the music through the phone's speakerphone, not the aux cable.

If I use the headset toggle widget, it pushes music through the aux cable. But if I receive or make a call, that mono audio gets routed through the aux cable too. Shouldn't call audio always go through my headset?

If I toggle the widget off before making a call, it goes through the bluetooth headset, but that doesn't solve my problem for when I receive a call while I am listening to music through the aux cable... does this make sense?

Additionally, I cannot seem to get google voice dialer to work with my bt headset while SoundAbout is enabled, at all.

Thoughts and thank your help so far..

scion676

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 am

Phone call audio set to "Let app decide" should work.

Phone calls are going through Aux because of forcing audio using the widget. That makes sense. The issue is that we shouldn't need the widget in the first place.

I think the initial issue is due to the Bluetooth headset being both A2DP and mono. When you plug in the 3.5mm cable to the AUX, the app would normally still use the A2DP connection if it is available. It seems that something is closing the A2DP connection when the Aux cable is plugged in. It could be Google Play that is doing that. This would answer why the audio is going through the speaker if the A2DP connection is suddenly closed.

Try this. Make sure the Widget is set to OFF. Leave the settings as you have them with one change.
Go into Bluetooth behavior and un-check the "(A2DP) Media audio usage".

Then run through your test again and see if connecting the Aux cable allows music to play without clicking the widget. When you plug in the cable, see if the icon for the widget changes automatically when it detects the headset cable.

SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scion676 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 am

Ok, that seems to fix the main issue. The widget toggles as you described. Music goes through the aux cable and calls go through the headset when both are connected. Thank you.

The side effect is that when I am not in the car I have to open the app and toggle on a2dp audio in the bluetooth behavior section to re-enable music through the headset but that's a minor annoyance.

Google Voice dialer now routes audio through the phone speaker instead of the bluetooth headset.

I wonder if there's a way I could create a macro so that when the BT headset is connected but the aux cable isn't, it will turn on A2DP media audio usage... but when the aux cable is connected, it turns it off. Perhaps a thought for your next beta!

Thanks again for the help.

But at least its progress.

scion676

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:05 pm

David,

I am a Pro license holder. I have a persistent problem with a similar configuration as Scion676 on the Note 3 (auxillary audio plugged into 3.5 mm jack on phone, AD2P compliant BlueAnt BT headset). I downloaded the latest beta just now. My problem is that, with music playing through auxillary audio via the 3.5 mm jack, I cannot get phone call audio to route to the BT--despite fiddling with all sorts of settings. I realize this is a problem with the GN3 (my old GN2 worked perfectly in this situation). Any ideas?

Thank you,
John

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm

John, does the note 3 have the setting for "Voice Control"?

I've read about "Voice control" on newer Samsung phones. It allows you to yell commands at your phone.

Go into Settings > Controls > Voice Control. Then un-check it for phone calls. See if that does it.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Actually, I have Voice Control turned off altogether... It's this phone...phone audio coming through auxillary audio, it's crazy. If you would be willing to program a fix, I would be more than happy to pay you handsomely! Very Happy 

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:21 am

You have the phone connected with a 3.5mm AUX cable. You are connected to a headset that supports both media and phone calls.

1) Is this both incoming and outgoing calls?
2) If incoming, do you press the headset button to answer or do you press the phone answer button?
3) Have you tried going into the phone settings, choose Bluetooth, click on the Bluetooth headset name. Then click on the settings icon (or long press). There should be a checkbox for both phone and media. Try unchecking the media checkbox and see if the phone call works with the Bluetooth headset. I'm just curious if the Bluetooth A2DP connection in interfering with the Bluetooth phone connection.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 am

1) Yes
2) I either press the BT headset button, or use the BlueAnt voice-activated "Answer" command.
3) Unchecking media (leaving only phone audio checked) makes no difference. The phone audio still comes through the AUX....

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:18 am

Is there any way to try with BlueAnd voice-activated turned off? I want to see if it is something to do with voice commands.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:25 am

I rechecked the manual and that option is not available.

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am

Sorry, the problem persists with the latest beta. Thank you for your efforts.

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 am

Can you give the latest Beta a try. I just uploaded it to the Beta list here:

SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 am

Sorry, no change.... I also noticed that, after I unplug the AUX, phone audio is not audible in my BT until I reboot the phone. Even turning SoundAbout off does not restore BT phone audio until a reboot is done.

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:46 am

OK, I put a newer Beta version out there. One thing to remember, is that on a lot of newer phones, the manufacturer phone application may behave differently. A lot of them will try to use the headset, if it is plugged in, regardless of SoundAbout trying to force otherwise. The only way around this is to answer the phone call with the Bluetooth headset "answer" button, or the car's "answer" button.

SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jsirak on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:33 am

FIXED! I found that, under Bluetooth Behavior, checking Disable Wired Audio successfully rerouted phone audio to the BT headset. Media audio still plays through the auxillary jack (paused during phone calls, of course), as is desired. Perfect! Thank you very much. Sent you a couple of beers!! drunken 

jsirak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

Excellent. That new setting will work on some phones. On my HTC One the phone app just tries to route to the headset anyway. If I turn that setting on, the phone app routes to a headset that is disabled and I hear nothing! I hate these new phone apps that route to audio output that is not available!
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SoundAbout on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Thank you for the beers. Very generous.
SoundAbout
Admin

Back to top Go down